Jun 27, 2008

The Trial - Chapter 1

The first chapter does a fantastic job of introducing the characters and making you interested in the story. Why is Josef K. being arrested? If he is arrested then why is he not taken into custody and formally charged with something? Who is behind this?

Is Josef K. guilty of anything? The way that he answered the inspector's question as to whether or not he was greatly surprised by the morning's event was quite odd. He has an air of superiority about him and at first thought that this all could be a farce.

The inspector told K. that he should think less about us and what is going to happen to you and think more about yourself. He also told him he should talk less.

Do the 3 men from the bank know more about the situation? What about the old man and woman and the man with the goatee watching though the window; are they curious by-standers or do they have some interest in the situation? What about Frau Grubach - the line about her not looking as if she felt any particular sense of guilt - is that a foreshadow that perhaps she should look as if she felt guilty?

What do you think so far? Did you see what I meant about the paragraphs?

I listened to the first few chapters while driving but I am going back and reading it as well. I realize that I miss a lot by just listening to the story. Especially in a story like Wise Blood, I would have missed the dialectal way in which it was written.

No comments: