There are definitely some interesting characters in this book. None that I can relate to or would want to hang out with but true oddballs.
Chapter 4 - (Haze buying the car)
Like we had already discussed the kid at the car lot with turrets syndrome was a hoot. I noticed on page 70 a reference to 666 which is a sign of the devil. She was only referring to posts labeled 666 so I wasn't sure if it was a reference that he was on the road to hell or if it is just a road sign.
I thought that the sign he sees written on the boulder "WOE TO THE BLASPHEMER AND WHOREMONGER! WILL HELL SWALLOW YOU UP? Jesus Saves spoke directly to him and his situation.
Chapter 5 - (Enoch & the thing in the park)
Enoch - wow! Mr. Wise Blood himself is definitely a strange character. OCD, woman hater?, peeping Tom, and animal hater just to name a few quirks. I am curious as to why he despises the animals with such ferocity. The waitress despised him to the same degree and it didn't sound like the guard at the museum like him much either.
What role do the woman and her two children from the pool and the museum play? Was the body at the museum really important? Did Haze really hit Enoch in the head with a rock and leave him there?
Chapter 6 - (Haze preaching and the blind man)
You wonder what has happened to Haze in his life for him to be so obsessed about proclaiming to people all that he does against Jesus and how he does not believe. Who is he trying to convince when he makes his statements to others about not believing and being clean? It seems whenever he makes these statements to the strangers that they always act with hostility which I can see that I would as well. To me it's like, "who asked you and why are you telling me this?"
What is the attraction that Haze has to the "blind" man and his daughter? I agree that it is curious why he is so driven to preach. Why would the "blind" man's daughter want to leave him and want to go with Haze? It doesn't seem right to me that Haze would want to seduce her, isn't she only 15 or so?
At the end of the chapter Haze takes his car to be serviced. The first station tells him that it cannot be fixed so he leaves and takes it to another shop. The next station's mechanic tells him that he can fix it overnight and that it's a good car put together with good materials so Haze believes that he is honest and leaves it with him. I am thinking that this is foreshadowing something in the book or in life. If you don't like what someone tells you even if it is the truth you keep looking until you find someone who will tell you what you want to hear?
I never know if I am interpreting things correctly or not. Let me know what you think. I have many more questions than answers about the motivations of the characters.
No comments:
Post a Comment