"I'm going to found the church of Christ without Christ, where the lame don't walk and the blind don't see and what's dead stays that way." Haze Motes
The murder of Haze's twin was handled so matter of factly that when I read it I wondered if it had indeed happened. Especially because it is never mentioned again, but that could be because the voice that the story is being told in changes. It does appear that he saw the man as a fraud but as he was his "twin" it was a reflection of himself so ultimately he saw that he was a fraud.
Do you think Haze is schizophrenic? I really can't decide what his illness he has.
I loved the part where Sabbath tells of the letters she wrote to the newspaper for advice. She did have a difficult life and I did not see easier times in her future.
It was interesting to me that it was a police officer who pushed his car off the ledge, this act alone sent Haze into his decline. Then it was another police officer who found him and hit him with the billy club that ended his life. Any subliminal message about cops here?
I am grateful for my religious upbringing, I did not have to endure all of the mental trauma that bible-thumpers inflict upon their followers. Sin, salvation, and redemption are ideas that are foreign to me and I cannot understand how intelligent people can believe without questioning. Guilt is enough punishment, it is so difficult to comprehend the self torture that Haze inflicts upon himself.
This book was difficult for me to get excited about reading. It's not that the characters weren't interesting because they are, I just didn't care about them enough to want to know what was going to happen next.
I imagine that there will be several books on the list that have strong religious overtones as religion plays such a pivotal role in many peoples lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment