I am finished.
Character summary - (my deductions, please feel free to add your opinions or criticisms)
Asa Hawks - he like Onnie Jay Holy were preachers for convenience sake. They used God and Jesus to eke out a living and get by in life. Although they wanted the world to see them as holy and saved it was only a con.
Sabbath Lily Hawks - she is just a young girl who wants to belong to someone and be loved. Why else would she cradle the new jesus that Enoch brings to Haze? She throws herself at Haze to try and seduce him so she can stay since her fraud of a father is ready to leave.
Enoch Emery - In the end he becomes that which he despises. I see it the same way in people who have homosexual tendencies but don't want to accept them and are abusive to those who are gay. It is like they are fighting against something they cannot control. I see this trait in Haze as well. I am not saying that he is gay. The quote that you provided does seem to apply to Enoch's character.
Haze - he wants to deny Jesus but in the end he is the only one who is tormented by him. Always mistaken for a preacher throughout the book he was destined to become one. Although he tried to fight it and speak out against it but the belief was too deep. He is punishing himself for his sins in unimaginable ways but in the end he could not escape his fate.
The Landlady all of the sudden became a main character, both Hawk's and Enoch are out of the picture entirely. Her initial motivation was money and greed. She was good to take care of him but had ulterior motives.
This book is filled with interesting characters that are not predictable or easy to understand.
I like the idea you mentioned of his car being his vehicle to heaven. He mentioned quite often that his vehicle would take him wherever he wanted to go and no one would agree that he had a good vehicle. Once the vehicle was pushed over the edge it was as if he were too. He went on a downward spiral after he lost his way out.
Other than Asa and Haze most of the main character were starved for acceptance, connection and belonging. Which is funny since when I think of "preachers" I imagine that is what they would want as well.
We started the movie over the weekend and they changed Sabbath's age to 17. I didn't imagine the shrunken man quite the way they have it in the movie.
Looking forward to your interpretation/comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment