Jun 4, 2008

First Thoughts

My first thoughts on this book are slightly depressing. Do you think that Hazel has stopped believing in anything because everyone in his family has died? I am feeling very sympathetic for him.

2 comments:

Denise Johnson said...

I did look this book up on Amazon prior to starting it and noticed it said it was a comedy. I have finished the first 2 chapters and haven't laughed yet.

Yes, I took notes on all of his family that had died. Did he really have anything to come back for after the war?

I had a weird observance, the author uses many bird references when describing people. I am not sure if you caught this but I thought it was interesting.

Denise Johnson said...

Perhaps I pointed out my observation too early. In ch. 3 he uses other animals too, a mandril, dogs, flea, ape. Maybe it's to show that people are like animals? Or maybe I am reading too much into this.