Jun 14, 2011

Finished at last...

Once I got back into the story, the book was surprisingly interesting to follow.  I still can say I am not entirely clear on some of the minor characters and what their roles were in the plot or if they were just fluff  and filler. I have had to go read Sparknotes to tie some of the story back together.  I took the test just for fun and got a 76%, obviously there are still holes in my understanding of the story. 

I was not exactly comfortable with the idea of Esther marrying her guardian, it just seemed a little creepy to me.  It was refreshing to see how generous Mr. Jaryndce was in providing Esther and Mr. Woodcourt with their own version of Bleak House.  Esther had been acting as a little mother to everyone, so it seemed a proper ending for her to have her own children.  That Mr. Guppy was a funny little fellow, strange little man he was.  Marry me, oh wait, never mind, oh marry me again? 

Poor Ada!  It is unfortunate for her that Richard passed away leaving her a young widow, what a waste of his life chasing the lure of money in the lawsuit.  She is lucky that Mr. Jaryndyce is willing to take her in to support her and her child.

The whole estate being eaten up in costs and the suit ending because of it seemed like a tragedy unto itself.   It was not a surprise to me however because costs were mentioned quite often. I didn't expect the lawsuit would end well, but I thought that there would have been a decision made.

Mr. Skimpole did not fail to disappoint me,  I never liked that he lived on everyone else's dime and when times got tough he abandoned them, a real fair-weather friend. 

Caddy's situation ended mixed for me.  I was happy to learn that they ended up getting their own home but it was sad to learn of her child being deaf and dumb.  It didn't sound like her mother ever ended up tending to her children but found another cause to support, too bad her family was so neglected!

So glad we are done with Dickens for a while.  I am looking forward to getting back on a reading schedule, I have time to read when I am feeding the baby.  I read aloud to her so hopefully this will help build her vocabulary while entertaining her too.

1 comment:

100 Novels said...

I think I would have received a 20%on the quiz! Also- Mr. Skimpole was a character I think we could've done without.