Jun 24, 2011

1/2 Way Through...

*Spoiler Alert*
I was a bit surprised that this book was baned for some time in England. After reading it- I understood. The sexual tension and innuendos are alive in this story! I love it. Honestly this is my favorite book so far (of the eight that we have read); I can't put it down.

There is a reality to the way marriage is portrayed, even though I don't think so deeply about how much my husband pulls me down or lifts me up- there is definitely a continuous power struggle. I like the way he includes not only the female or the male version of what is going, but both sides and what goes on in their hearts and minds when they argue or make love.

We all know how dysfunction breeds more dysfunction (a little too much sometimes), however this tale incorporates that rule perfectly. It is almost as if the children are oblivious to the fact that their parents are struggling with each other and yet they end up in the almost exact same spot with their spouse, because this is what they know subconsciously. It is sad really when you come to the moment when Ursula realizes her first love- you know what is around the corner and the battle she will have to fight. She doesn't even stand a chance, especially when her father treats her so poorly!

At one time I did like Will and felt almost sympathy for him, but he turned to a dark spot literally and doesn't see that his little girl is screaming for attention from him, when all he doles out is criticism and abuse. How could they have so many children? Neither one of them is mature enough for parenting. I do like Ursula though, she seems like a thinker and a giver.

I can't wait to find out how this story ends...

No comments: