Here it is, I took a huge hole out of my reading during the holiday break. I started reading and couldn't put it down- especially when I found out Lady Dedlock's little secret. Esther is such a good girl (who in their right mind would agree not to talk to their mother just for the sake of her marriage?) Am I that selfish to think that Esther deserves a lot better than some rich spoiled woman as her idol? I feel hearthache for the loss she suffered because of the smallpox. Mr. Guppy is less than desirable- I am glad she denied his advances.
Richard is gone, he is too caught up in trying to find "himself" that he lost what was really important- his family. Another sad case of work becoming a higher priority. There is something endearing, however, about how devoted Ada is to Richard even through all his trials. To me his character represents a fair amount of young men (and women) who are thrown into real life without really knowing themselves first. It is a lot harder to discover things about yourself when you are also trying to establish yourself in society.
Mr. Jarndyce is an interesting old man, I foresee some difficult choices in the near future...
Why can't I know someone who would give me their "country" house for months with servants and every amenity just to relax and recuperate? Sigh.
I like the book, but I will be happy when I am done reading it!
No comments:
Post a Comment