Okay Lindsey, I have taken my time in getting to this point in the reading. I feel like I have lost track of some of the characters, they are introduced, not mentioned again and suddenly brought back into the story. I am going back through Spark Notes to try to remember the significance of each character, hopefully I will be able to tie it all together without too much review.
I am not sure that I care for Richard's character at all. He seems like he doesn't know what he wants and is banking on the lawsuit to provide for he and Ada. Perhanps joining the army will be good for him since he obviously has some growing up to do. His irresponsibility seems somewhat like that of Mr. Stimpole. Speaking of Mr. Stimpole, how is it that Mr. Jarndyce puts up with having to support him financially? Plus why would Esther and Richard give him money to get him out of debt after just meeting him?
From the Sparknotes, I see that Esther is only 14, that seems awfully young for her to seem so mature but the name, "Little Woman" makes more sense now because she is so young. I still can't figure out how old Richard and Ada are but what's with cousins getting together?
Mrs. Jellyby is such a different character, her tireless pursuit with the people of Africa coupled with the neglect of her children makes me wonder what is going to happen to it all later in the story. I am glad that Caddy was able to connect with Esther and Prince but felt sorry for her when she tried to announce her engagement to her mother. I love the contrast between the two "charitable" women, Mrs. Jellyby and Mrs. Pardiggle. One neglects her children whereas the other drags them everywhere and forcing them to be charitable against their wishes. Neither group of children seems to be very happy with their circumstances.
I noticed in the Sparknotes that the story was written as a serial where a few chapters were released at a time. It is noted that the story is satire and a detective story, which explains why it is so hard to keep track of everything since it is somewhat of a mystery.
Please don't think I have given up on reading our novels, I am finally getting more motivated to finish. I apologize for the brief post but want you to know I am making progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment