May 6, 2010

First Thoughts

Well, I didn't think I would like this one- I am surprised by how much I do.


I feel a connection to Esther. How sad for her to have such a hard life at such a young age. She seems born with the right temperament for the problems that she has faced. I enjoy the part where she writes how she doesn't like to write about herself. It shows her true character. Also, she doesn't recognize how lovable she is since there seem to be many suitors for her.

I like Ada and Richard, they both seem happy together. From the beginning of the story it was obvious that they were going to lovers. I know that Esther says that Ada is the "pretty" one, but I believe Esther to be almost as pretty or even more so. It would not be a shock to me if further into the story we find out that Richard is actually in love with Esther.

The strangest character I have come across is Lady Dedlock. What is her deal? It is obvious that she is having an affair, or multiple affairs? I am still unclear about some of the things going on with her and her husband...

A part worth mentioning: the sad moment when they take a trip to the "ghetto" and watch as the mother of the dead infant realizes her baby is dead. Then the neighbor woman who risks getting beat by her husband just to nurture the poor woman while she grieves.

No comments: