Feb 28, 2009

Chapter 2 down...

I'm not sure if you have time for this in your life, if not let me know and I'll hold off. If you want to listen to the audiobook, I have extra credits at Audible.com and I will send it to you.

Ok, it's been a great week, I have listened to Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, twice. Since this book is so short, that is going to be my strategy (listening to each chapter at least twice) since actually picking up and reading the text seems to elude me due to time constraints.

It's interesting that the story in Chapter 2 is told to Quentin from his father's perspective and not Rosa Coldfield's. This chapter goes into more detail about who are the main characters of this story. You start to get more of an idea of what Sutpen is like but not who he is and what motivates him.

I still cringe at the "n" word and how these people were treated in reality and are portrayed in literature. What was with the French speaking architect who worked for 2 years without pay? Why would he have done this? Was he afraid of Sutpen? I'm not sure I understood why Ellen was crying so much before her wedding, was it because she was being forced into it by her Aunt or because no one showed up? I'm sure we will find out why although Rosa had stated she agreed to marry Sutpen after her sisters death, she still was a virgin.

No comments: