Feb 25, 2009

First post

I have now listened to Chapter One two times now and decided that I need to buy the book to get all of the characters, dates, and vocabulary worked out. I bought it last night and started going through it.

The characters I've deciphered so far are -

Rosa Coldfield (Ellen's sister) - she is telling the story to Quentin
Sutpen - he marries Ellen, then after she dies he marries Rosa
Ellen Coldfield
Judith - daughter of Ellen and Sutpen
Henry - son of Ellen and Sutpen

There is a large age gap between Rosa and Ellen.

Quentin Compson - the story is being told to him. His Granfather was a friend of Sutpen's.

The audiobook is interesting to listen to because the author uses somewhat of a southern accent/drawl. A little fact I saw about this book is that it boasts the longest sentence -- drumroll, please... 1300 words. Why would anyone make a story so difficult to understand?

I just wanted you to know that I started, and started again. My vocabulary is expanding, else I repeat looking up definitions in the dictionary.

No comments: