For some reason I get the feeling that the V.P. has something to do with Josef's trial. Is he involved in the court maybe and wants to get Josef "out of the way" at the office? I could be totally wrong, but the V.P. just seems suspicious. He seems to be conveniently around when Josef has important matters with his trial. Such as: when Josef is trying to get away from helping the men waiting in the hallway including the manufacturer. You are right about men not asking for directions- I think there a lot of instances where typical "man" thinking comes into play during this novel. Probably because it was written by a man.
K. does seem to not be taking it very seriously and making poor decisions. However, it appears that even if he was taking it seriously there wouldn't be anything he could do. He makes his Uncle look like a fool and all for the comfort of a woman. Then you think about it- he got some of his fellow bank workers in trouble because he wanted to make amends for a woman. Then he gets into a scuffle with a man from the court- to try and save a helpless woman. More "male" thinking.
The episode of the three men being flogged in the closet was unbelievable. Why would the court conduct that sort of behavior, and at their place of work no less? Then they didn't leave the next day? It would be most advantageous to be a part of the court system as soon as possible and therefore avoiding any charges brought against you. Which brings me to the painter....
So many people are aware of Josef's trial. The painter wants to help and tells K. that he can get him off or at least try. Josef doesn't know what to say. I think Josef is in extreme denial about how serious this is. Does he really think that doing it on his own he can achieve actual acquittal? The painter thinks this is almost impossible- even if he is completely innocent. What is going on with the three UNDERAGE girls hanging out in his apartment? The most astonishing thing about the painter is he lives among another set of court offices. The painter informs K. that there are offices all over the city in almost every attic. These people are incredibly influential and all over the place so is this like the mob?
I'm glad you pointed out how K. seems to have multiple personalities. Sometimes he is bold and in control and other times he is whiny and out of control. I have a hard time connecting with his character, but I feel sympathy for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment