Ever since our conversation I think that the analogy of K. being stuck in a childish state of mind makes the most sense to me. He is easily persuaded by people to do things he shouldn't, such as finding himself in conflicts with his superiors. I think you are right about him lying a lot- especially to authority figures.
I wonder what the painter represents. Possibly the three different outcomes for the trial are three different ways of living your life. Actual acquittal is the best way and the only way to be done completely with the trial (this is my way of over-analyzing).
All of your observations are excellent and spot on. I also thought that K=Kafka, interesting. Does he feel as if he were on trial himself? In what way are we supposed to interpret this?
The V. President is a pivotal character, does he represent Josef's guardian- like a parent? He is in constant conflict with him and the don't see eye-to-eye on anything. As a reader I felt sympathy for the V.P. because I thought he was just trying to help Josef. However, Josef was always so suspicious of him.
I was so shocked by the end of this novel, not expecting what happened at all. Why does he mutter, "Like a dog"? What does that mean? Was he treated like a dog, or was his death like a dog's- I'm not sure. The entire book seemed symbolic- why did he buy 4 paintings that were exactly alike? Who was the person stretching out their arms in the building right before he died? Most likely it was a woman.
I have nothing else to say about The Trial. I am more interested in what your thoughts are.
No comments:
Post a Comment