Jan 17, 2012

Howard's End - The End

As always with the stories we read, I walk away with unanswered questions but not as many this time as with the others.

Just a few thoughts. What do you think of Tibby's character? Where did he go at the end of the story? Did he stay a bachelor? Was he gay? I think they somewhat explained him as frail and fussy, did I read too much into this?

How much older was Mr. Wilcox than Margaret? I'm not sure I understood when and how she fell in love with him. Their relationship often seemed so cold and businesslike. Did he end up with her because of his wife wanting Howard's End to go to her? I disliked that he wasn't going to honor his wife's wishes and that Margaret only found out about the request from Dolly at the end of the story.

I did feel sorry for Jackie, why can someone who has no education or opportunities be held in such contempt by everyone? Perhaps she did have desires to improve herself but just not the means. Was she a prostitute? Is this how Mr. Wilcox came to know her? They used the phrase Mistress or lover though so maybe not.

Helen was a romantic and acted with her heart rather than her head whereas Margaret was the opposite. I am glad for Helen that she and her child could
be with Margaret at Howard's End. It was a surprise to me when Margaret mentioned that she didn't like children, it seems fitting that she would end up with Mr. Wilcox then whose children are grown.

Was Miss Avery the one who set everything in motion? She was the one who displayed the sword, unpacked the furniture and belongings.
She played a pivotal role in Len getting killed, Charles going to prison and everyone living back at Howard's end.

10 books down, finally! We will finish this list eventually. :)

No comments: