Dec 26, 2009

All caught up!

Lindsey, I do not want reading to be any pressure, you have plenty of stuff going on to keep anyone busy. Since I commute back and forth to school, it is much easier for me to fit this into my schedule. I will follow your lead, just let me know what your life will allow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really liked the story about the 20th Century Motor Company and the failed social experiment. At face value it seemed like a noble idea that the owners of the company had, giving the company and leadership to the employees. The workers would work to their best abilities and those in need would get the help they need. But it is clear to see why this system would fall apart as it did. Why would you show any ability if doing so meant you had to work harder than your neighbors who could get everything for free by riding on your coattails. This story foreshadowed the ultimate fate of the country.

I also thought that it was interesting that the story of Robin Hood was shown to be the embodiment of everything that Rand was against - taking from the rich to give to the poor. I think it depends on how the rich actually became that way, I do not begrudge anyone who has earned their money honestly but knowing that there are many rich swindlers out there does make me feel that it is justified to take from them.

I am concerned about the health care reform bill that is being passed for the U.S. Is it going to be a situation of those who make more are once again going to be taxed at an even higher level? One concern is that the highest earners are going to start hiding their earnings even more than they already are and the middle class will get hit the hardest again. Our children are already going to have a more difficult time having the same or better quality of life than we have had so far. The tax burden is going to be crippling! I know there aren't any painless solutions.

Just a couple of comments on Dagny and John -

Dagny -
Yes, she did get around but I think that she treated sex as a pleasurable, fulfilling experience; unlike the way others viewed it as a vile, shameful and common act. Dagny also appreciated music, achievement, and wisdom on a higher level; she considered these things sacred and to be celebrated. I yearn to be as composed and self confident as she is but personable as well.

John Galt -
You were quick to figure out that he was the one who invented the motor, very perceptive! Although he was the philosopher and the brains behind the curtain, I really wanted Dagny to end up with either Hank Reardan or Francisco. I didn't fall in love with Galt, I'm not quite sure why.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am looking forward to reading The Fountainhead, I found it at a used bookstore and got it for Christmas. Bleak House is downloaded to my I-pod and I'm ready to go whenever you are, I have others to read (listen to) until you give me the go ahead. Thanks!

No comments: