Lindsey,
I have been working on the book for the past few days and have found it does pique my interest a little more than at the beginning. I do have many more questions now that are starting to be answered as the story unfolds and becomes a little more twisted. I just completed Volume 1, Book 5th.
1. The comment that Lord Mark made at Aunt Maud's dinner party that no one does anything for free I believe this helps set up the story. What is his part going to be in the story? Is he going to get together with Kate or Milly?
2. Kate's beauty is mentioned and esteemed by all, especially Milly. Kate has family to fall back on if her Aunt decides that she is through with her, even if they are not the most desirable kin. Milly really is the one who has nothing, no real friends or family connections since they have all died. Even if she has money and Mrs. Stringham, why doesn't she have any other connections in the U.S.? Has she been ill long and therefore out of society?
3. Do you recall how Aunt Maud got her money? Did she marry well and then become a widow?
4. The mystery of Mr. Densher and how Milly and Mrs Stringham are not supposed to mention knowing him to Kate seems to really show Mrs. Lauder as manipulative. Why wouldn't she want it mentioned? It's just to control and manipulate the situation in my opinion, not truly out of caring.
5. What is the doctors real interest in Milly? Is she going to be okay or is he telling her to live while she can?
6. As far as the relationship between Kate and Densher, it was my understanding that they truly loved one another but neither of them wanted it to be revealed to Mrs. Lauder so that they can take from her whatever they could. Both Kate and Densher know that they are being played but because they both hope to gain financially they are willing to wait.
7. The point at which Mrs. Lauder asks Milly to ask Kate about Mr. Densher and if he is back in town to me shows that she set her up for a test. Milly didn't do as she was asked and further spoke to Kate about Lord Mark and never mentions Densher.
I just got past the scene in which Milly runs into Kate and Densher at the museum and they all have to act cordially to one another. Now the secret is out, Milly knows Densher. It seems like Milly believes what Mrs. Lauder told her about the relationship, that Kate is not in love with him.
Do you like any of the characters yet? Is Kate the likable one or is it Milly? I feel like Mrs. Lauder and Mrs. Stringham are sort of playing show and tell and that the young women are the objects that they are showing off. Neither of them have their own children? Are they trying to live vicariously through the girls?
I don't want to leave you hanging on the reading of this book. My goal is to have it completed by the end of the month, I will have about 30 minutes to listen Monday-Friday while communting back and forth to school plus there will be time before I pick up the carpool. Why don't you let me know what pace works best for you.
I have another book I am also listening to right now, "I Feel Bad About my Neck" by Nora Ephrom. It is a collection of essays which are random rants about life and being a woman. She is very clever and holds nothing back; she is the author of "When Harry Met Sally". I will say that this is much easier to get into in comparison to the Wings of the Dove.
No comments:
Post a Comment