Sep 9, 2008

Keeps on Going

I really am not sure if it is because you had a hard time with this book and it influenced me or if I was just let down immensely. I wanted it to be good, something worth getting excited about- difficult is more like it. At times I forgot what the story revolved around (the Holocaust) due to the way the author wrote about it. Too many tangents and none-relevant details. Frankly, I was as lost as you were and very uninterested.

I wasn't sure if you wanted me to say if I think he had a brother or not- honestly I think he was referencing the hole left in his soul after his real parents were gone. A void maybe that he was trying to fill? Sad. That is just my interpretation of course.

One of the things I remember vividly was his description of time. I thought that was so interesting. I'm glad that you made mention of it too. I know that there are too many instances where I catch myself feeling governed by time instead of me choosing to rule time. What a universal thing time is.

I just wanted to point out another scene I remember: when Austerlitz hears for the first time the fate of his mother. What a horrible thing to have to imagine your mother helpless and alone. Then you think about her not worrying about herself but what is going to happen to her child and if he is okay. As a Mother, it hits a tender spot.

No comments: