Aug 11, 2008

Beginning...

I never noticed how much I rely on the existence of chapters. Then I started reading Austerlitz- at page 30 I was frantically flipping through the pages trying to find a break, a place to stop. You are right about the endless sentences (if sentence is the correct term). Also, I'm glad that you found the beginning description of architecture hard to get through. I thought perhaps I had missed an important piece of information, but I'm glad I stuck with it because the developing story is well worth it.

I'm not really sure why this idea came to mind but when he thinks of Austerlitz over the years it reminds me of how you think of yourself at different times in your life. It was as if Austerlitz is an extension of himself (the narrator). Finally Austerlitz begins his tale...

The most interesting and compelling detail of his identity being questioned is when he describes looking for people with his same last name. It really brings to life what it must be like to realize your reality has been a lie. How bizarre that he makes a strong friendship with one of his professors based mainly on his last name and its connection to one of the greatest battles in history. Hilary gives Austerlitz a decent male figure to look up to- a replacement for his "barely there" foster father. What did you think of the way he describes his foster parents?

I did not know this was the newest book on the list. I did notice that it was "recently" written, however I had not considered that it could possibly be the newest book.

No comments: