Austerlitz. Yes Lindsey, I can see what you mean that this book is hard to get into. I did start reading it over the weekend. OK, what is with the endless sentence on pg. 9? I bet he did not use a program like Word that has a grammatical sentence checker because he would have gotten a message like "wordiness, consider revising". Also, I understand what you meant about all of the information at the beginning of the story regarding the details of the architecture, etc.
I worked on my stained glass project over the weekend and listened to the recorded version of the story and that was much easier to digest. Except the mention of all of the foreign places and names, I won't ever be able to recall them.
Austerlitz and the main character have met back up after 20 years had elapsed since they last saw one another. I can see the story being able to move forward from here with Austerlitz retelling the story of his mysterious childhood, who is he really? It was tragic that his foster parents both passed away before they could tell him about his past. How horrible to find out that your name is not really yours and that you are really someone else. It reminds me of the Boston Legal where Denny Crane (William Shatner) tells Alan Shore (James Spader) that his son, Donny Crane (Freddy Prinze Jr.) is not really his. It's clear that Donny is devastated by hearing this news. Your version of reality is totally turned upside down upon hearing news like this and you have to figure out who you really are.
It's uncanny how the narrator and Austerlitz meet up in the strangest of circumstances and continue their conversations where they had left off from their last meeting. I am not familiar with geography and need to brush up so I can understand the distances between the countries that are referred to in the story.
I did not realize that this was a newer story, when I heard that they meet again in 1996, I had to go and see when the story was published. Do you know, is it the newest book on our list?
No comments:
Post a Comment