Aug 31, 2009

Oh my...

So you have a reference point, I just began chapter 5 of Book 2.

Wow, so much to discuss...

Jim's wedding
First off, I comprehend that he married this naieve girl because of the way she worships him and for his own political statement. James Taggart is such a small man, and his dirty dealing is made very clear in the conversation regarding Wesley Mouch. Wesley is the man with the power and should be feared, he is a double trader and his dealings in Washington are dangerous to all.

Lillian showing up and demanding that they go to the wedding together was a surprise but the confrontation between Dagny and Lillian regarding the bracelet really had me stressed out. When Hank had her apologize regarding her remarks to Dagny I saw that he picked a side to be on and it was Dagny's.

I loved it when Francisco shows up and Jim is caught off guard. Jim shows one face to the world but not his true face. When it is disclosed that he, as well as many of the wealthiest men in America, has still been investing in d'Anconia Copper under assumed names it becomes more clear just how greedy they are though trying to portray that they are something better. The speech that Francisco makes in response to the statement that money is the root of all evil must exemplify Ayn Rand's philosophy regarding money and capitalism.

When Lillian discovers that Hank has been having an affair and does not want a divorce because she would rather maintain her social standing she shows her real character to me. I am waiting for her to discover who it is with but she assumes that it is some slut or prostitute.

Thanksgiving
The exquisite table setting and the mere cost of the items showed that Lillian was not interested in the social good but that she enjoyed her money and spent in excess. Phillip really was put in his place after his rant about the reason that Hank was going to be on trial the next day. He bit the hand that fed him one too many times. The mother is the reason her son is such a weasel, she needed to make him stand on his own and earn a living rather than to act as a parasite on his own brother.


The Economy
Who is the destroyer? Why are the only successful businessmen disappearing and giving up their lives work? It is easy to see how the chain reactions can take down the economy little by little. The politics make no sense to me, how can the politicians think than you can take and take and that the country will still be able to run normally? Are Dagny and Hank strong enough and driven enough to hold the country together and for how long?

Francisco
I am still trying to figure out what Francisco is trying to prove? It was very clever the way he implied the stock of his company was going to fall, he triggered the crash with that very information. It saddened me that Hank's shipment of copper for Dagny's rail ended up being intercepted by Ragnar Danneskjold and how this hurt his relationship with Hank. I have enjoyed the sections where they were becoming friends. I'm not surprised that he is not the playboy that he wants the world to believe he is, what happened twelve years ago that turned him into the person he is?

I can't wait to hear your thoughts, I have been listening more lately now that the kids have gone back to school. This book is a very popular read right now, I didn't know if you have noticed. The movie is currently in production too. Do we have a date for dinner and a movie when it comes out?

No comments: