May 29, 2008

Monster

I think it is very interesting that the monster makes a reference to his own making being similar to the creation of Adam. Do you think that Mary Shelley made the monster more out of likeness of man or monster? It is my assumption that she wants you to perceive the "monster" as being more human with small qualities of a barbarian.
Side Note- when I looked up the word MONSTER in the thesaurus "Frankenstein" was listed under the options. The monster's name is not Frankenstein so am I understading now that Dr. Frankenstein is the real monster?
-Lindsey

1 comment:

Denise Johnson said...

The book that the monster found, "Paradise Lost", is an epic poem which is about Adam & Eve (creation) and the fall of man. I do believe that she made the monster more of a man than barbarian however, because he was not treated as a man he lashed out.

I believe that once Victor chose not to create a companion for him, the monster sought to make Victor feel the way that he did, utterly alone.

From what I have read, it has become acceptable to use "Frankenstein" to refer to the monster although it is not accurate. I saw too that perhaps the name was given him like when someone creates something, the item is named after the creator.